After reading about open-source software, a few benefits seemed to jump right out:
1. They are inexpensive to implement and maintain
2. Minimal staff time lost on maintenance, development, etc.
3. Allow libraries to work collaboratively and pool their resources/knowledge about the program
However, the biggest disadvantage that I see is that it is not as easy to set-up the open source software, as it is the commercial option. If library staff are not familiar with the software, there can be considerable difficulty in getting the system up and running.
With that said, I think that the open-source software is a great resource for any library, as the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages. Personally, I feel that technology is improving whether we like it or not. People are so technology-driven at times, that they want their information available to them 24/7. Therefore, e-reserves are a great alternative to not only satisfy the patrons, but to make sure that the library’s resources are still being used—whether they are being used from a remote location or in the library itself. Open-source software is, in my opinion, a necessary resource in any of today’s libraries.
No comments:
Post a Comment